The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation is now accepting grant proposals for Round 6 of Grand Challenges Explorations, an initiative to encourage innovative and unconventional global health solutions. Applicants can be at any experience level, in any discipline, and from any organization, including colleges and universities, government laboratories, research institutions, non-profit organizations and for profit companies.
Grant proposals are being accepted online until Nov. 2, 2010 on the following topics:
- The Poliovirus Endgame: Create Ways to Accelerate, Sustain and Monitor Polio Eradication
- Create the Next Generation of Sanitation Technologies
- Design New Approaches to Cure HIV Infection
- Create New Technologies to improve the Health of Mothers and Newborns
- Create Low-Cost Cell Phone-Based Applications for Priority Global Health Diseases
Initial grants will be US $100,000 each, and projects showing promise will have the opportunity to receive additional funding of up to US $1 million. Full descriptions of the new topics and application instructions are available at: http://www.grandchallenges.org/Pages/default.aspx.